IRS to Send Checks for Child Tax Credit Starting in July
To help families meet their children’s basic needs, Congress expanded the Child Tax Credit (CTC) for 2021. The IRS will be sending out monthly checks to families with children, starting in July. You can receive up to $300 a month for every child ages 0-5 and $250 a month for every child ages 6-17 living in your household. You do not need any earnings to qualify. To begin receiving these payments, file your 2020 taxes by May 17.
- Even if you do not normally file taxes, you should file taxes this year to receive your monthly child benefit:
- Filing your taxes is how you “sign up” for the Child Tax Credit.
- If you file taxes, you may also be eligible to receive other payments, such as the stimulus checks.
- You do not need earnings from work to qualify for the Child Tax Credit.
- This will not affect your SNAP/Food Stamps, Medicaid, TANF Cash Assistance, SSI, or other public benefits.
Get FREE help to file your taxes:
- File your taxes for free online at https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/.
- Find free tax help near you at https://irs.treasury.gov/freetaxprep/.
- If you are aged 50 or older, use this AARP tool to find free tax help near you at https://secure.aarp.org/applications/VMISLocator/searchTaxAideLocations.action
Information provided by the Automatic Benefit for Children (ABC) Coalition.