Six (6) months prior to a youth’s 18th birthday, a board extension must be initiated and approved for the youth/family to be paid.
- Criteria for a board extension is if the youth is enrolled in school or has a job.
- These extensions are needed for youth 18-21 who wish to remain in care and meet the eligibility requirements set forth by DHS.
- Board extensions are good for six (6) months and must be re-submitted to DHS in order to avoid disturbance of stipend payments. If a board extension is not in place, the youth will be discharged from care and stipend payments will end.
- Your CUA worker is responsible for completing and submitting the paperwork to DHS, however we work in tandem to ensure it is submitted to continue care and payment.
- If the board extension has not been confirmed/approved by DHS before checks are cut, you will only be paid the funds provided by DHS until an approval or case closure is confirmed.