Allegheny County CARES Rent Relief Program Accepting Applications
Allegheny County is partnering with the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA) to jointly fund the CARES Rent Relief Program. CARES helps people experiencing job loss or loss of income as a result of the COVID-19 health crisis.
Applications can be submitted through September 30, 2020
Who can apply for CARES Rent Relief Program?
- Renters who have experienced job loss or a reduction in annual income due to COVID-19.
- Landlords who have lost rental income because a renter has experienced job loss or a reduction in income as a result of COVID-19.
How do renters qualify?
- Renter’s income may not exceed the Area Median Income for Allegheny County (and adjusted for the number of people in the household).
- Renter must document at least a 30% reduction in income since March 1, 2020, due to COVID-19; OR
- Renter must have become unemployed, as verified by the PA Department of Labor and Industry, after March 1, 2020 as a result of COVID-19.
What assistance is provided?
- Up to $750/month per household in state-funded rental assistance;
- Up to $750/month per household in Allegheny County-funded rental assistance
- Up to $200/month per household in County funding to cover additional household costs for gas, electric, and/or internet; late fees charged by the landlord and/or utility company; and/or court costs
- Payments will be made directly to the landlord and utility companies on behalf of the renter for a maximum of six months of assistance between March 1 and November 30, 2020 (may include December rent).
The opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of A Second Chance, Inc.