The Importance of Black Mothers Breastfeeding
This webinar from Black Mamas Matter Alliance features numerous speakers discussing the importance of Black mothers breastfeeding their babies. The webinar displays how to uplift Black mothers in their journey and advocate for support services for breastfeeding as an essential component of Black Maternal Health.
If you’re thinking about breastfeeding, Healthline suggests that you do your homework by following these steps:
- Talk to your doctor and their staff about breastfeeding.
- Talk to a certified lactation consultant. They’re available to work with you at many OB/GYN offices and clinics.
- Talk to your partner and your family support system about your decision to breastfeed and the kind of support you’ll need from them.
- Find out if there are Black Breastfeeding Clubs that are available to you.
- Find a Facebook support group for Black breastfeeding mothers.
- Find women in your circle of family and friends who have breastfed their babies that you can call for support.
- Talk to your employer about what supports are available to you when you return to work. Will you be able to take breaks to pump your milk? Is there a way to refrigerate the milk, or will you be allowed to bring in a cooler?
- Make sure you talk to and work out a plan with your daycare provider regarding giving your baby breast milk over formula.
- Reach out to organizations like the Black Mothers’ Breastfeeding Association (BMBFA) to find support.